Journal Editorial Job Descriptions
Job Description of Editor
The Editor is responsible for the overall quality of the intellectual content and performance of the journal. He/she performs the following main functions:
- Ensure that the papers accepted for publication are consistent with the mission and scope of the journal;
- Manage peer-review process. The Editor may also delegate this duty to Associate Editor or Managing Editor. However, the Editor or Associate Editor may sometimes reject a manuscript without processing it for external peer review when the manuscript does not meet the minimum quality requirements, such as when it is outside the scope of the journal.
- Accept or reject papers for publication based on reviewers’ recommendation. The Editor has the responsibility for the acceptance or rejection of all manuscripts submitted to the journal. The publisher will not be involved in editorial decisions, but will only ensure that the journal adhere to the Best Practices in Scholarly Publishing, particularly as outlined in the Terms & Conditions of the Application Form for Journal Publication by Kwara State University Press;
- Forward the manuscripts accepted for each issue to the publisher on time according to the schedule agreed upon with the publisher;
- Ensure that the journal follow good ethical policies for scholarly publishing;
- Oversee the manuscript’s language editing, copyediting, typesetting and proofreading;
- Ensure that terms and conditions as stated in the Application Form for Journal Publication by Kwara State University Press are closely observed;
- Provide guidelines to authors for preparing and submitting manuscripts;
- The Editor may propose to the publisher that a special issue on any theme within the journal’s scope be published in addition to the regular issues of the journal. He/she may appoint a guest editor in consultation with the publisher. The publisher will have the responsibility to approve or reject such a proposal.
Job Description of Associate Editor
The Associate Editor primarily manages manuscripts related to his/her fields of expertise or as directed by the Editor. He/she performs the following main functions:
- Assist the Editor in finding qualified reviewers for manuscript assessment;
- Provide the Editor with critical feedback regarding the journal and ideas for journal improvement;
- Assess manuscripts and recommend their suitability or otherwise for publication;
- Manage peer-review process of manuscript as directed by the Editor;
- Occasionally review papers submitted for publication as requested by the Editor;
- Provide editorial guidance and proofreading for the issues to be published;
- Solicit high quality manuscripts which will be peer reviewed, like other manuscript;
- Assist the Editor in carrying out his/her duties.
Kwara State University Press